Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The big wall at Snell

In the same area, there is a large stone wall near the summit. This picture is taken looking over one of the turns (stones in the foreground) in the zig-zag wall. I was playing with the aperture setting on the camera to try and get depth of field, but it turns out the picture is a little blurry with the aperture (F-Stop) set at 8.0:This is a close up of what I was trying to capture in the background of the prior picture. Still a little blurry due to the poor aperture setting:Then looking down, over the zig-zag row, to the view in the distance. The F-Stop is at 3.4 in this picture, so it looks much better:This is looking in the opposite direction from the picture above. The stone wall ends where the outcrop begins:Here is a two shot panorama of where the wall meets the outcrop:Going back along the wall, this standing stone gets honorable mention, due to the combination of shapes:The opposite side of that stone, I will stick my neck out a little bit and say that this stone mimics the horizon (I have a better horizon shot in this direction coming up in another post). I am not implying that this is deliberate. I just find it curious.Looking from the side, with the wall close by in the background:One final shot along this same row, which started up again a bit further to the north. This is the same outcrop (same altitude), but now the wall goes over the outcrop instead of joining to it:Instead of following this wall, I proceeded further uphill, to another stone row along an outcrop, before the final summit. That will be the next post.

2 comments:

Lisa Cacicia said...

Beautiful shots of the wall! Question - does the height of the wall change? The reason I ask - your wall reminds me of a wall here in Western PA - it starts low - gets higher then back to low again. And your wall there reminds of a snake trying to move on the ground - Lisa

theseventhgeneration said...

From the parts of the wall I looked at, I'd have to say the size was pretty much the same. In some spots it was collapsed, so that might be what makes it look larger or smaller in spots. The only thing that might be a similarity is where the wall actually stops at the outcrop (5th photo down) and then starts again further north. There's no way I could say if the builder's intent was to give an appearance of a snake coming out of the ground or not. It certainly would be more convincing if there was a large boulder at the end of the wall, to look like a head.

These were not the only walls in the vicinity. When I peered over the outcrop below the zig-zag wall, there was a huge stone row (it looked very crudely built) running east-west up to the outcrop. There is also another wall (I have photos of, but didn't post) with a HUGE tree growing up "in" the wall (or next to it...it displaced part of the wall) and a stone stuck in the crotch of the split leaders lead me to believe the tree grew after the wall was placed. I'd love to find out how old that tree is. This place needs a much more through review than my brief hike.